Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Years! Looking back and future plans!

Hello everyone and happy New Years!  I hope you guys had a great time last night and the rest of the year goes great!

Being the start of a new year, I like to reflect back on my accomplishments from the previous year and look forward to what I will accomplish.  So without further ado, I would like to present a list of accomplishments from 2017!

The biggest accomplishment I had was marrying my lovely wife Ariel.  It was incredible and I've enjoyed every day with her.  While this did stunt a lot of progress in the first half of the year, it was more than worth it.  Next would be the creation of my second Youtube channel: Jerry Martin Livestreams.  After livestreaming Jackbox with my friends and having people join in, I decided to create a separate channel where I could livestream games and Jackbox from.  I started it up on February 7th and even consistently streamed every Friday at 5 PM for weeks, that is, until personal life and work made it impossible for me to get on every Friday and it's been sporadic ever since.  To be honest, most of my efforts went into this channel and making it work for most of the year and there are 74 full streams up to watch from last year for a plethora of different games.

Most of my early streams were centered around Jackbox and playing with my family members.  I even teamed up with DoubleD and did a dual stream on June 12th inviting everyone to play.  Unfortunately, even though we got someone our first attempt (when we were trying to have a family game), we never truly got anyone else to play with us which is why I shifted gears and started playing other stuff.

Early on in the channel's life, I would stream either PC games or PS4 games, as those were the only ways I could stream early on.  I had fun streaming Unreal Tournament 99 and completing the deathmatch mode, as well as testing the newly released Ys Origin on PS4 and Lego Worlds.  We also saw a return to Broforce as Baird and I played through a lot of the game properly without lag!  I even streamed some little known, poorly made indies known as Skylight Freerange (a MS Paint 'Mass Effect killer' released on PS4) and Zombitatos, an FMV game that could have been released on Youtube.

However, the biggest boon to the new channel was when I finally plunked down for an Elgato and received it on July 8th.  Finally able to livestream games in HD and systems other than PS4, I soon turned to Super Mario 3D World which got me a lot of followers as I trekked through the game and beat all of the worlds including World Crown.  I even invited DoubleD to join us as we played it live with my wife making her debut on the channel on July 13.  Finally, on August 7, we finished the game (though I would go back and attempt to get through the game with the rest of the characters for a while) and moved on to other Mario games, namely Paper Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros U.  My most popular video to date on that channel would come a short while later on September 1, where I played Jak & Daxter live on PS4 and would be raided by DoubleD and his followers.

However, after a lot of people failed to turn up to my highly advertised Super Mario Odyssey premiere on launch day and things at home/work screwing with my schedule, my streaming schedule for the rest of the year petered out.  I definitely intend to rectify that this year.

My main channel saw 31 new games covered, despite most of my efforts turning to my livestream channel, and a lot of them were fun new additions.  You can also tell by my uploads that a lot of last year's uploads were based on themes.  The first upload, Final Fantasy, took a lot out of me and took weeks of time to prepare, record, edit and upload and was one of the main reasons my focus went to streaming.  However, I did attempt to record the second game but burnt myself out.

April 30th saw the return of a type of video I hadn't done in years: a commentary walkthrough for Wizard and the Princess.  Cited as the first game in the King's Quest series, my intention was to cover all the games in the series but after 50 failed takes of King's Quest 1, my focus shifted to other series.

June 14th was a very busy day for me as I knocked out a ton of games for the NES Classic Edition (as it was my intention to cover all 30 games).  However, one of my viewers commented that the arcade videos I was putting out bored him.  I just happened to be playing through one of my favorite games at the time and decided to cover my first ever Nintendo 64 game: Super Mario 64!  It was an absolute blast covering the game (though as many people pointed out, I did skip World 2 at the time) and I had so much fun I decided to re-record my previous Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros (SMA version) playthroughs to be more in line with the consistent and concise style I've adopted over the years.

Around this time, the SNES Classic Edition was announced and the game list was announced.  My intention was to have the first complete video walkthrough series for all 21 games so that when it launched in September, people could go to my playlist and find whatever game they were having trouble with.  Because of this, most of my next uploads were games from the SNES Classic and ones I had really wanted to cover in the past (though I jumped the gun early on some of them): Donkey Kong Country, Super Punch Out, Mario RPG, Castlevania IV, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Super Metroid (which I had started recording the year prior), Super Mario Kart (also recorded the year prior), Super Mario World 2 (which completed my classic Mario playlist), Mega Man X, Contra 3, Star Fox and Kirby's Super Star.  However, pumping out all of these games in a short amount of time left me burnt out yet again and I remedied this by playing through one of my favorite beat-em-ups: Simpsons Arcade.  My wife made her debut on the channel as well and it was a blast.  We ended up recording another playthrough with Bart and Lisa.

Near the end of the year, I also debuted another new type of video which I will be working on heavily throughout the year to try and catch up the rest of my videos: commentary versions.  Along with my normal non-commentary versions, I will dub commentary over the video for extra help or interesting tidbits.  I will be going back and dubbing videos from the past in this style as well.

As far as my writing goes, because of everything that's happened this year as well as the environment not being suitable for writing, the only accomplishment I've had would be the five new reviews I wrote for Gamefaqs.  They were the four Jackbox games (which we first played early this year) and Zombitatos.  I do hope to write more but with free time being limited as is, I doubt it will happen.

Now, as for this year, I have a few objectives I'd like to complete and one of them is a doozy.  But the following is my list of goals for 2018:


  • Reset a regular streaming schedule (hopefully the same Friday @ 5 PM PST)
  • Apply custom thumbnails for all previous videos uploaded as well as livestream videos
  • Finish adding timestamps to all previous videos.
  • Finish covering Mega Man X series.
  • Finish New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario Odyssey livestreams.
  • Livestream and complete all 296 US Nintendo 64 games.
The last one is a doozy but is a dream of mine especially now that I have the means to do so.  I will elaborate on it more as the time nears but essentially I want to finish all of the games on the Nintendo 64.  Most likely they will not be done to 100% and the sports games will likely be a season but they will be played on official hardware.  More on that to come!

I hope to see you within the year and we will see how this comes to pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment