Thursday, March 4, 2010

Loneliness

This poem came to be one night while I was reading the news online. It had an article about a man over 100 years old, who painted pictures of what life was like when he was growing up in the late 1800s. I began to become curious and searched wikipedia for supercentenarians. Each one I read about got more depressing until I reached a man named Yukichi Chuganji. Around the same time, my itunes shuffle turned to this really depressing song. I began to think about how incredibly lonely this man must have been, living for so long and watching everyone and everything around him change. All the people he knew were long gone including his family. As I looked at the picture, I saw an incredible sadness in him. The loneliness spread into me and I became so overwhelmed that I wrote this poem.

The second chapter came about quite a while later. I was reading my previous work when I came upon Loneliness. I realized how much had changed since I wrote that poem, my then-girlfriend now living with me and taking away my loneliness for good. I felt so compelled that I wrote a "sequel" and posted it as a second chapter.

For chapter one, go to http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2573561/1/Loneliness.
For chapter two, go to http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2573561/2/Loneliness

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment